Click here for hi-res 10 x 8 promo shot.
This is a PDF file. Right-click (PC) or CTR-click (Mac) to download.
Before Andre Rieu, before Vanessa Mae, before Bond,
Martin Lass had already broken the mold of the usual violin soloist with his hit crossover album, "Bach to the Future". His classical beginnings - which included playing as principal and soloist with orchestras such as the Sydney Symphony and Australian Chamber Orchestra - led to the creation of a solo career that spans many genres of music. He presents modern interpretations of such greats as Beethoven and Vivaldi alongside the jazz of Brubeck and Ellington, the Gypsy music of Eastern Europe, the world's great Love Songs, Broadway Showtunes, and his own Original Compositions - even adding the odd Bluegrass fiddle tune!
Born in Chicago, Martin's interest in the violin began at the age of 8, when he saw world famous violinist Yehudi Menuhin on television. Menuhin became Martin's earliest idol. Furthermore, Martin's father instilled in him an appreciation of all styles of music from classical to jazz to country to pop, with Martin's mother's reputed gypsy background adding to the spice of his musical upbringing. Martin's family moved to Australia when he was eleven, and by his early twenties he was already an accomplished classical musician.
During this time, responding to a brazen dare (the exact details of which will never be released!), Martin appeared on a nationally televised talent show - Australia's equivalent to Starsearch. He blitzed all opposition, winning everything and receiving standing ovations from the judges!
The result? From second fiddle in an orchestra, Martin quickly became one of Australia's most sought after popular entertainers. Clever television commercials immediately attracted attention and built audiences, blazing fresh trails with the violin. Martin appeared on every major Australian TV show - making over 200 television appearances. He released 10 major selling CD recordings, toured Australia with his band, and performed alongside many distinguished international names in concert.
Martin relocated to New York in 2000. His album, "Sonnet", featuring his own original music, was featured on 630 radio stations across the USA and achieved No. 13 on the national NAV charts (New Age Voice), as well as receiving glowing reviews from across the country. Many of the tracks from this album are currently being considered for use in Hollywood motion pictures.
Although Martin has now based himself once again in Australia, he is working constantly around the world, opening and exploring new markets and new audiences, and taking his magic to people of all cultures, countries, and ages.
Accolades, Highlights, Achievements
- Three Royal Command Gala Performances for the British Royal Family
- Ten commercially released CDs, including Gold and Platinum sales
- Two Top Ten charting albums on Australian FM radio
- Performed on every major TV show in Australia featuring live entertainment, over 200 appearances
- Performed in every major city and regional centre in Australia
- Corporate functions for IBM, The Australian Government, Toyota, Clarins, etc.
- His music is featured in the European TV series, "The Last of the Mohicans"
- 2 successful seasons starring as the Fiddler in "Fiddler on the Roof" in Sydney, Australia
- Headlining Entertainer for Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, Cunard Cruise Lines (QE2), Holland-America Cruise Lines, Celebrity Cruises, Radisson Seven Seas Cruising, Silver Seas Cruises, Crystal Cruises and more...
- Seven times winner Australian Entertainment Industry "Mo Award"
for Best Instrumentalist
- Variety Club Showman of the Year
- 1999 Recording "The Gypsy Fiddler" nominated for an ARIA Award
- In the Top Ten Artists who consistently draw the largest audiences in the Australian Club Industry
Performed in Concert with...
- Luciano Pavarotti
- Julio Iglesias
- Yehudi Menuhin
- Olivia Newton John
- Ronnie Corbett
- Peter Allen
- Seals & Crofts
- Joan Baez
- 1983 - Gypsy Airs (EMI Music)
- 1987 - String Sensations (WEA Records)
- 1988 - One Love (GOLD ALBUM) (Paganini Promotions/EMI)
- 1989 - Bach to the Future (Paganini Promotions/EMI)
- 1991 - A Christmas Offering (Paganini Records/EMI)
- 1991 - Songs Without Words (Paganini Records/EMI)
- 1998 - Full Circle (MA & I Lass/MRA)
- 1999 - The Gypsy Fiddler (Galactic Muse Records/MRA)
- 2002 - Sonnet (Galactic Music Inc.)
- 2004 - Re-release of One Love for the US market (Galactic Music Inc.)
- 2004 - Re-release of Songs Without Words for the US market
(Renamed You and I) (Galactic Music Inc.)
- 2011 - Take a Bow - The Ultimate Collection (Fanfare Records, Australia)